http://www.speak-fluent-english.com/how-to-speak-english-fluently
What is the best way to learn English?
Learning English, or any new language, is not as difficult as most people think. The problem is that most people who try to learn English use the wrong methods and believe that just studying “harder and longer” is the right solution.
I have a lot of experience teaching English to people who really want to improve. I’ve seen many people succeed and many people fail. My goal over the past couple of years has been to find the best way to learn English.
I’m a native speaker and I interview a lot of people for well paying international jobs and I have a lot of friends from all over the world. I’ve listened to the secrets from all the best students I’ve seen.
The funny thing is that the students who learn well don’t even think they are studying. They are having fun. They don’t think of studying English as some terrible thing that they “should” do. They learn from popular American TV shows, movies, and of course podcasts.
The worst way to study is to use a dictionary and try to remember a lot of new vocabulary words. You will get bored quickly and you will forget a lot. In over 10 years I’ve never seen anyone having success with this method.
Reading the newspaper is also a terrible way to study because the style of newspaper writing is completely different from the way that people actually communicate with each other.
It’s 2011 and you should be thinking of the most modern methods instead of the terrible ones of the past. Your parents probably learned English in school and I’m guessing they don’t speak very well at all. They are probably smart people, it’s just that schools don’t teach anything useful. They focus on test scores and grammar and a lot of weird things that are really not important or necessary at all.
My brother and I have spent several years watching the best movies and TV shows and writing down all the cool slang and useful phrases and vocabulary that you will often hear and need in your daily life. I use all of these really interesting and fun vocabulary and slang words and explain them clearly in 10-12 minute podcasts. These are MP3’s that you can download on your Android phone, computer, Iphone, Ipad, Galaxy tab, or any other MP3 player like a regular ipod.
You can listen to our funny shows and learn a natural style of speaking between two brothers from Canada. In case you didn’t know, we sound basically the same as Americans. Even when we meet American people, they don’t know if we are Canadian or American. We are from a city just outside of Toronto and we’re living in Shanghai China. If you go to the gym, go for walks, drive a car, take the bus, or just have some time before bed to listen to us for 10-15 minutes per day, your spoken English, listening, and even writing will improve very quickly. I know that because we’ve sold over 10 000 of these products.
We have many people send us emails every day telling us that they really improved a lot and it makes us really happy to hear that. You can have the whole program downloaded immediately after you buy it. If you want to know a little more about what we do, sign up below for our free English learning ebooks and learning advice that we will email you. We are not a big boring company. We will email you friendly funny stuff that will really help your life and help you become like a true native English speaker.
How to Learn English Fast
If you’ve decided you want to learn English, then you are obviously going to want to learn it in the fastest and easiest way possible. Don’t believe anyone selling you some product that says you can learn English in only a week. That kind of thing is always a lie. The good news is that there are some great methods for improving your English a lot in a relatively short amount of time.
It is important that you avoid distractions while you are studying. It’s fun to have the TV on, look at your cell phone, and listen to music while you study. The problem is that you are only cheating yourself. It’s better to have a solid 15 minute study session per day than spend two hours a day while you are distracted and can’t focus. 15 minutes a day is not a big deal so just remember to do it right.
The human brain forgets quickly so it’s also important to learn everyday. We can forget just as fast as we can learn. Study everyday so that you keep improving. Even taking a week off can make you forget a lot. It’s similar to trying to lose weight. If you want to do it quickly, you’d better diet and exercise everyday. You can’t be taking holidays all the time and expect good results.
Another important thing to do is to learn from native speakers. Practice listening to typical conversation and writing down what you learn. Most study programs are very different from true native speech. Stay away from those programs and only learn from something that will teach you the slang, phrasal verbs, and real kinds of things that native speakers actually say. If they aren’t saying it, don’t learn it. It’s a waste of time and energy to learn a bunch of random words.
Learn English from TV and Movies
Watching American TV and movies is an awesome free way to learn English. You learn modern culture, commonly used slang, improve listening, and most of all, it’s super fun.
The language used in popular TV shows and movies actually represents real life. Sometimes native speakers even use new phrases they learn from movies. The slang today is much different than the slang used by even my parents. Real spoken English changes quite quickly and it’s important to know what’s cool now and what sounds old fashioned and stupid.
Most people studying English by watching TV and movies make one of 2 major MISTAKES however.
1. Watching with subtitles.
This is a huge mistake because you learn a lot less than you think. Your eyes naturally go to the subtitles and often the translations aren’t great. It’s impossible to translate slang and jokes anyway. Another thing is that your brain is busy reading your own language. This really slows down the learning process.
2. Watching stuff they don’t understand 100%
Turning the subtitles off isn’t enough if you don’t understand 100% of the movie or TV show. It’s not enough to get the “general idea”. I’ve watched so many movies and TV shows with non native speakers and they miss out on the real funny parts. This stuff doesn’t translate well. This kind of media is designed for native speakers. They don’t need anything explained to them but you do. If you are learning English you need to have these slang expressions and jokes explained to you. Then you will totally “get” everything and your English level will improve like crazy.
Sign up for this free Ebook and I’ll send you a free PDF of some slang terms that are often used in popular movies and on TV. I’ll explain everything clearly with some cultural background. I’ve been doing this for years and it really helps. You can also put this stuff on your Ipod, Ipad, or Iphone if you want. It’s not necessary but it’s a good idea if you have one of these devices. If not, just read off your computer.
No matter what your level, I’m sure you’ll learn something from this. Check it out.
No matter what your level, I’m sure you’ll learn something from this. Check it out.
Learn English Quickly – Some Cool Tips
I’m always trying to stay on the “cutting edge” of quick English learning techniques. Being on the “cutting edge” of something means to be the most advanced, the most modern. I strongly believe that most English learning methods are slow and boring.
In my opinion, it is a shame that this world can’t speak the same language. It is causing us all kinds of wars and problems. I hope to do my part to solve that. Maybe I can’t save the whole world, but I hope to do anything I can. I hope I can at least help YOU. That is if you truly want me to.
The weird thing to me is that the world is getting richer and more developed quickly, but not much is happening with English learning. If you go to rich Asian, South American, or European countries, most people STILL can’t speak English well. They learn it in school and pay more money for teachers and education programs, but not much is improving. There is no good reason that in 2011 we need to have so many people with poor English. I understand that many people in this world don’t have enough money for food, and that’s sad, but anyone with a computer can certainly find a better way to learn to speak English quickly and confidently. There are just no good excuses anymore for bad English.
Ok, now for the Tips:
- Find some TV series that you love. Find something that challenges and interests you. Learning should be fun! These TV shows are not made for English learning, but they are amazing. You need a plan though. You can’t learn much from just watching them or looking at the subtitles. You need an explanation of what is being said. If you don’t understand some part, you will stop learning when some more advanced words and ideas come along. At that point you will just be wasting your time. These TV programs use real English and the people speak like native English speakers. This is perfect. The same actors speak on every show. You can get used to their voices and their speaking style. You can find someone you like and learn to “copy” or model your pronunciation after theirs.
- Ok, now you’ve found the TV show. You need a podcast that teaches you all the little tricks, vocabulary, and cultural stuff that you would miss if someone wasn’t there to help. My girlfriend is learning English and it’s going really well for her. She’s using this method and I’m watching her progress and helping her out all the time. I notice that she understands a lot of the show and then sometimes get’s “stuck” on a more advanced word, idea, or phrase. Every time I see her experience this problem I get a pen and write down her problem. I believe that most students will have the same problems and questions. I teach English to you guys the same way that I teach it to her. I know it works because I can see her improve fast everyday. This podcast is designed for this exact purpose. I am trying to make the best ways for teaching real native English. I don’t care about the old teaching methods. They are boring and don’t work. If they worked, more of the world would be speaking much better English. I know we need something better.
- Here is the last tip and it’s very important. USE what you learn. You have probably heard this before but you really need to use this material if you want to remember it and put it deep inside your brain. We have a saying in English, “use it or lose it”. I guess you probably have something similar in your own language. You need a simple notebook or a computer to keep a record of the cool and useful stuff you learned. It’s so easy to learn something new one day and then forget it the next day. That really isn’t learning. I know it takes a bit of effort, but trust me, it’s worth it. At least write down 3 interesting things you learned in English every day. Then write down how you can use those things in your own life. If after you watch a TV show and I say, “Ok, so what did you learn?” You need to be able to say at least 3 things. It doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s much more than what most people do. Most people “pretend” they are learning or studying but really they are just wasting time and energy. It’s crazy but it’s so true.
I hope you think about these tips and how they can help you with your own studying. I am sure that if you do these everyday for 2 months you will notice an amazing improvement in all areas of your English and you will actually enjoy studying. You will be having fun and learning at the same time. I promise that other people around you will be jealous of your amazing English.
Improve Spoken English Fast
Improving spoken English doesn’t need to take a long time. Few people know how to improve their English speaking and their listening quickly. The people who know, have the right attitude and use the right methods.
If you want to know how to get better fast, you need to understand some important concepts that many people miss.
First of all, if your spoken English isn’t where you want it to be, it’s probably not because of your limited vocabulary. Many ESL students keep trying to increase their vocabulary but that’s not even really their problem. Think about this, 8 year old native speakers probably don’t even know what the word “vocabulary” even means. Their spoken English is fluent however.
The key is to use what you already know. It’s a lot easier to read than it is to speak a second language. Most often in a daily conversation, you don’t even need to say much. Native speakers in any language have an ability to make their points clearly using a minimal vocabulary. If you want to learn that, you need to listen to native speech. ESL podcasts and Iphone, Ipod touch, Ipad, and Android Apps that offer native English slang conversation are the best way to learn. You can listen anywhere. If you do this everyday for even a month, you will improve big time. When you listen to these conversations, your brain will start to notice and learn from the small differences native speakers use regularly. If you are actually paying close attention and not thinking about something else, you will find you will express yourself much more clearly with less effort.
Learn more about how to Improve Spoken English Online
The Importance of Audio for Learning English
Audio (listening) is really really important for language learning. Most students do far to little listening. Often the problem is that it’s hard to find really good listening material. A lot of English learning CD’s are really boring and TV is a little difficult. The other difficulty with audio compared with reading is that you can read as quickly or slowly as you want. Listening doesn’t give you that option. You must be as fast as the person speaking.
If you find something good to listen to, do it everyday. It will obviously help your listening, but it will indirectly help your speaking, vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.
Listening is closely connected with speaking. Babies learn this way. It’s possible to learn a language fast without even being able to read. Native speakers have perfect pronunciation because they copy what they hear and they listen to English or their native language constantly. They don’t even need to try to learn. It just happens naturally. Your brain get’s used to hearing the language and it starts to adjust itself. You need to pay attention to what you listen to, otherwise you are wasting your time, but if you do pay attention and listen consistently, you will improve very quickly on all the levels I mentioned. Grammar will improve because you will listen to native speakers using perfect grammar. Even if you don’t know the rules, you will naturally start speaking correctly. It will just “feel right”.
If you listen to stuff that challenges you but isn’t too difficult, you will learn vocabulary too. If you can understand around 60-70% of what you hear, sometimes even less, you will be able to “pick up” new vocabulary because it will make sense in the context. MP3 lessons for your Ipod are really the way to go. You can listen while you are driving or doing something else. I learned Chinese this way and I know it will work for you if you do it everyday. Sometimes reading a PDF before you listen can help too. This is especially true if the audio content is a bit too difficult.
How to Double your English Learning Speed
To be honest, if you follow this advice correctly, it will probably more than double your speed. If you really want fast results, you need to be well organized. Most people range from really bad organization to fairly bad organization. It is very rare that a person is well organized in their approach to language learning.
You need to carefully choose a study method that works for you. After you find it, you need to stick to it. Don’t keep thinking about it and changing it. This wastes time. When you know what you are doing, set aside some time each day to focus on your studying. Don’t accept any phone calls during that time. Always try to improve your efficiency. Most people aren’t serious enough when they are studying. It’s important to tell yourself that learning fast is an extremely important goal for you. Challenge yourself. See how much you can remember. Do you read a little, listen a little, talk on the phone, listen to some music, play around with the dictionary, maybe get something to eat, then maybe read again and feel sleepy? Do you often take a nap after not very long?
Most people do something like this when they have no pressure. You need to give yourself some pressure or you will feel this way too. Force yourself to learn quickly and you will. If you have this attitude and study only useful things, your learning will speed up like you wouldn’t believe. Trust me!
English Learning Advice
Some students learn English fast, most students learn English slowly. The difference is mostly method and not natural ability. It’s true that some people are more “talented” with languages, but the right method can help any student achieve really fast results.
You need to have the right attitude and the belief in yourself that you can learn quickly. If you believe it will take you a long time, it will.
You should choose a method of study that you actually enjoy. The more you study, the more you will learn. If you try to study from a boring method, you will soon quit. Try to find something that is fun. Maybe you can study for a few days with a boring method, but then you will start to find some excuses to quit.
You need to be really consistent with your study. It’s not necessary to spend a long time each day studying. It’s a good idea to find some quality time each day and focus for 15 to 30 minutes. After a month, you will notice a huge improvement. It will be hard to notice big changes every day, but if you keep with this program, you will be amazed at the speed the results come.
5 Tips for Fast Learning
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it 1000 times. If you want to learn English fast you need the right method. Most people have terrible methods and it’s the main reason they take years to learn anything.
1. Listen regularly to native English speakers on MP3. You can download a lot of great shows on your Ipod and get a real feel for the words the native speakers use. There are a lot of words in an English dictionary, but most of those words are rarely used. Listen for the slang and vocabulary that is used by native speakers. This will help your listening and also allow you to understand is important what to study.
2. Study with total concentration. Most people “multitask”. That means they do more than one thing at the same time. The problem is, they are really doing nothing. If you want to learn, you need to concentrate almost 100% or you are wasting your time. It’s so easy to learn something one day and forget it the next. What a waste of time.
3. Use a notebook. If you write down what you learn, you will be more likely to remember it. This will speed up your learning time a lot.
4. Only study stuff you don’t already know. So many people study what they already know. They read something that is too easy for them. That isn’t studying. That’s just a waste of time. It’s much better to learn one new useful word than spend time reading what you know.
5. Make sure you write down a couple examples of how you can actually use the new words you want to learn. If you are learning the right words and making sure you can actually use them, your English level will improve surprisingly quickly. Most students study weird words they don’t know how to use. They forget them and most of the study time is just a waste. They may be just as smart as other people, but because their method is wrong, their learning will be slow.
SLANG
Getting the Green Light
“Getting the green light” is a slang expression that means to “be allowed to do something”. We all know that when we are driving a car on the road, a “green light” means “go” or “you can drive”. In life, getting the “green light” means “getting permission”.
Here is a real life example:
I really want to take a long holiday this year. I’m all ready to go. I am just waiting for the green light from my boss.
Short Fuse
This is a great phrase to use in spoken English and a really easy one to remember.
If someone has a “short fuse” it means that they get angry really easily and really quickly.
If your boss is in a good mood and then 30 seconds later he’s angry for almost no reason, you could say that he has a short fuse. So anyone with a “short fuse” gets angry too easily over things that other people wouldn’t get so angry about.
It’s not a good quality to have a short fuse and most people who have a short fuse know that it’s a problem.
There. That was simple and a good one to add to your vocabulary. I’m sure you understand it now. Now practice it…
Buzzword
This is one of my favorite slang terms for spoken English and I can’t believe I forgot to teach it until now. It’s a great one and can be used a lot.
A “Buzzword” is a word that makes people think or react a certain way just from hearing that one word. It’s kind of weird and funny at the same time. Some examples will really help you know what I’m talking about.
People often use buzzwords to sound like they know a lot about a certain topic when in fact they know almost nothing. For example, someone who doesn’t know much about computers could say “VPN, RAM, memory, processor, CPU) etc. Those can all be called “buzzwords“. They are very specific to computers and make someone feel like they are smart or something. The funny part is that usually other people can feel if someone is trying to show off by using too many buzzwords.
Another way that “buzzwords” can be used is to get an emotional reaction from an audience. Politicians might use words like “global warming or terrorism” as buzzwords. These words carry a lot of feeling and emotion. Just hearing those words can change the listener’s feelings and opinions.
Basically, if someone is acting like they deeply understand a topic but are just using big words in a strange way, they are probably just using “buzzwords“. It’s a bit of a difficult explanation but I think you get the idea.
Put Your Best Foot Forward
In life, if you “put your best foot forward” it means that you let other people see your best qualities first.
Different people are good at different things. Some people are really smart but shy. Some people are great at speaking in front of a large crowd but they are really bad at math. Everyone has both strong and weak points.
It’s a good idea to always try to “put your best foot forward” when you meet someone new, do a job interview, or really do anything in your life. The whole point is that you want people to first notice your strong points before anything else. I think most languages and cultures share a similar idea and concept, but this is how to say it in English and this phrase is used quite often.
I hope that I can help you get your spoken English to an amazing level. Then you can use that to your advantage in life. It can become your new “best foot”.
One last thing is that “putting your best foot forward” is not showing off or bragging. It’s not a bad thing at all. It just means that you are politely showing your strong points first. I hope that makes sense and you can add that phrase to your English vocabulary. Start using that phrase and don’t forget to always put your best foot forward!
Drinking Someone’s Kool-Aid
This is a really modern slang phrase that I’ve been hearing more and more lately. I noticed a friend of mine use it the other day, and I heard it on a couple of new TV shows. If you “drink someone’s Kool-Aid” it means that you are listening to their opinion too much. You almost forget to think for yourself and are easily convinced by the other person.
Here is a real life example:
I can’t believe you invested all your money into that one stock just because one of your friends said it was a good idea. I think you are drinking too much of his Kool-aid. Be careful and think for yourse
Commute
The “commute” is talking about getting to work and back home. Some people drive to work, others cycle, take the bus or the subway. The commute is often the most annoying and dreaded part of the day for an office worker. Many people spend over 2 hours per day on just the commute alone. Luckily now there are Ipods and things like that to make the commute less painful. All over the world, millions and millions of people are stuck in rush hour traffic trying to get to work and back. The busy times on the road every morning and evening from Monday to Friday is because of so many people commuting to work and back at around the same time.
Getting Rejected
This is a cool term to use in spoken English. It’s also true that it’s not fun if it happens to you. In the dating world, if you ask someone on a date and they say no, “turn you down” it means you “got rejected“. Obviously, everyone hates “getting rejected” and it makes a lot of guys too nervous to ask the girl they like on a date. It’s also why clubs are able to sell so much expensive alcohol. A lot of guys, even if they don’t want to admit it, drink a lot at clubs so they feel less nervous talking to a girl. The alcohol makes them care less about the possibility of “getting rejected“.
Empty Nesters
“Empty Nesters” is a slang term for a couple who had children but the children grew up and moved out of the house. There are a lot of “empty nesters” now in the western world because there are a lot of older couples. Empty nesters are often retired and live in a big house. It is quite an emotional transition for a lot of these people because their lives changed a lot. They finished working and their kids are gone. They often have a lot of time on their hands and don’t know what to do with it. Some people love the freedom, some people find it boring.
New Normal
This is a new phrase in English. I hear a lot of people using it in the news and I heard the US president Obama use it the other day. It’s one of those words that’s getting popular right now. The “new normal” is a situation that would have sounded strange only a few years ago, but it’s common and “normal” now. After the September 11 airplane attacks, the “new normal” was higher security in airports. Obama was saying that the “new normal” now may be a world with high unemployment (many people with no jobs) and companies making a lot of money. A lot of companies have figured out how to make money with less workers. Another “new normal” is people living and working longer. Listen for it on TV. I’m sure you’ll hear it if you watch the news in English.
Behind Bars
If someone is “behind bars” it means that they are in jail (prison). If you watch a lot of American TV or movies you will hear this expression a lot. It’s one of those phrases you probably didn’t learn in class, but if you can use it, you’ll be one step closer to speaking English like a native speaker.
Here are a couple examples:
His dad is still behind bars. They haven’t seen each other in over 3 years.
This country is pretty strict. If you get caught selling drugs here they’ll put you behind bars for a few years
Making Small Talk
Knowing how to “make small talk” is an important skill to develop in spoken English. “Small talk” basically means to talk about simple topics that don’t make anyone uncomfortable. It is very light conversation. Sometimes we do this to be polite and “make conversation”. We don’t really care about what we’re talking about, we just want to avoid an “awkward silence”. If you go on a blind date for example, you may be a little uncomfortable in the beginning. It really helps ease the tension if you are good at making small talk. Things like talking about the weather or talking about holiday plans or your favorite foods are all examples of small talk.
Elephant in the Room
This is one of my favorite English expressions. I think this idea can be applied to all cultures and used in many situations.
The “Elephant in the room” is an expression that refers to something people don’t want to talk about but everyone is aware of. The “elephant in the room” is often a sensitive or embarrassing topic. People often don’t want to mention it but it is usually something that should be discussed. I’ll give a few examples to make you understand more clearly.
Here are some common example sentences:
We all know that our company is losing money and we might lose our jobs. We have to stop pretending that things are going well and face the problem. We need to talk about the elephant in the room.
Our relationship has been getting worse and worse. We both know it and we can feel it. I think we need to talk about the elephant in the room. I know I said I’m sorry 100 times, but I feel you still haven’t totally forgiven me for kissing that girl 2 months ago. Will you ever be able to forgive me? We need to talk about it.
Choke
This is a common word native speakers use. It is often used in the context of playing a sport. If someone “chokes” it means that they got too nervous and underperformed. Imagine some athlete who everyone expects will win and olympic gold medal. All the newspapers write about him or her. Then, when the games start, the athlete get’s really nervous and performs poorly, much worse than in practice. This means that the person “choked“. Another context we can use it in is test taking. If you study hard for a test but get a bad score because you were nervous, you “choked“.
Here are 2 example sentences:
He didn’t get into a good university because he totally choked on his final exams.
She was two points from winning the match but ended up losing. She choked big time.
Time on Your Hands
This is a really useful phrase to use in spoken English. You will hear it a lot in movies and real spoken English. If you have a lot of “time on your hands” it means that you have a lot of free time.
Here is a useful example sentence to get the idea of how to use the phrase:
I quit work about a month ago. I’ve got so much time on my hands now. I think I need to start doing something useful like learning a new language or learning how to play a musical instrument. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but all I’ve done in the past month is lie on the couch and watch
Money to Burn
If someone has “money to burn” it means that they have extra money. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are rich, but it means that they have more than enough money to live. People with money to burn can spend money however they want to enjoy life. They could choose to buy a luxury car, go on a nice holiday, or always eat at nice restaurants.
Dragging your feet
Here is another excellent phrase in English. If you “drag your feet” on a decision, it means that you take a really long time to decide something. It is always used in a negative way. This does not mean that the person is thinking carefully about a choice. This usually means that they are wasting people’s time.
Here is an example sentence:
We need to decide quickly where we want to go on vacation. If we keep dragging our feet, we will have a hard time finding a hotel.
Path of Least Resistance
The “path of least resistance” is kind of a higher level English phrase, but it’s a very useful one. It will impress English speakers if you can use it correctly. If someone takes “the path of least resistance” it means they make their decisions based on how easy they are to make. Taking the “path of least resistance” means that you make easy but usually not good long term decisions. It is always used in a negative way to describe someone who is weak and can’t make the difficult but important choices in life. An example would be someone who chose their career just because it was the same career their father had. This is almost like the person didn’t really think about what he or she wanted, they just followed whatever nature gave them.
Lose It
This is a really useful phrase in spoken English. Everyone does this from time to time. If you “lose it” it means that you got really angry or “lost control” of your emotions. This means almost the same thing as losing your temper. “Losing it” is more commonly used than “losing temper”
Here is a sentence that could be used in real life:
The boss must be really stressed out lately. He’s usually a really calm guy. A couple days ago some girl was only 3 minutes late for a business meeting and the boss totally lost it and then fired her.
Baby Boomers
“Baby Boomers” is a slang term usually used to describe the large group of children born in the years after world war 2. At that time, men would come back to the USA and start to have large families. The baby boomers represent a very large portion of the US population. They are important for voting and also marketing because there is such a large number of them. Many baby boomers are currently in their late 50’s or 60’s.
Cutting Corners
If you “cut corners” it means that you take a shortcut or thing of a solution to finish your work quickly. This can be used in both a good and a bad way. Sometimes smart people cut corners to save time. Sometimes lazy people cut corners to avoid working hard. The feeling of the word really depends on the context. I’ll give 2 examples. The first one is using it in a positive way and the second one is negative.
Mutually Beneficial
This isn’t really a slang term, but it’s a set phrase that is very useful to know. If something is “mutually beneficial” it means that it is good for both people or both groups. It’s a phrase that can be used in a business setting as well as other situations. Another way of phrasing this is by calling it a “win win” situation.
Here is an example conversation where the phrase is used quite well:
Brian: I heard you are going to ask your boss to lower your salary and give you a higher commission on sales. Do you think he will agree to it?
Kevin: Absolutely. It’s mutually beneficial. From his perspective, I’ll only get paid well if I make a lot of sales and earn him more money. For me, it gives me a good reason to work harder and sell more stuff. The harder I work, the more sales I make and the more money both me and the company get. It’s a win win situation.
Mutually Beneficial
This isn’t really a slang term, but it’s a set phrase that is very useful to know. If something is “mutually beneficial” it means that it is good for both people or both groups. It’s a phrase that can be used in a business setting as well as other situations. Another way of phrasing this is by calling it a “win win” situation.
Here is an example conversation where the phrase is used quite well:
Brian: I heard you are going to ask your boss to lower your salary and give you a higher commission on sales. Do you think he will agree to it?
Kevin: Absolutely. It’s mutually beneficial. From his perspective, I’ll only get paid well if I make a lot of sales and earn him more money. For me, it gives me a good reason to work harder and sell more stuff. The harder I work, the more sales I make and the more money both me and the company get. It’s a win win situation.
Party Pooper
A “Party Pooper” is someone who is acting like an old person and doesn’t want to have any fun.
Here is a real life conversation:
Lori: Do you want to go out to the movies tonight?
Bill: No thanks. It’s already too late and it’s cold out.
Lori: You are such a party pooper.
Retarded
This is a slang word used all the time in spoken English. Literally, it refers to someone with a mental handicap or problem from birth. In daily use, people don’t mean it this way. We use it to say that someone or something is stupid. You should be careful with this word because you can offend some people with it.
Here are some common ways you might here it in movies or real life:
He’s such a retard. He doesn’t even know how to use a cell phone.
I saw that movie. I seriously think you’ll hate it. It’s pretty retarded.
Burnt out
Being “Burnt out” is a great slang term and a feeling we can all relate to.
It really means you are tired of doing something for too long.
Here are a few perfect example sentences:
I’m thinking of quitting my job. I’m so burnt out.
I’m really burnt out from the last 2 months of studying for my exams.
Don’t work so hard or you’ll burn yourself out before you get to retirement age.
Queen
In slang spoken English, if you call some guy a “Queen” it means that you are making fun of him. You are saying that he’s acting womanly or he’s gay. It doesn’t even mean that you think being gay is bad. It’s just a way to joke with a guy.
Here are a couple real example sentences:
Mark is such a queen. He won’t come out for a few beers with us because his mom doesn’t like him drinking.
It’s only a bee sting. It doesn’t hurt that much. Stop complaining about it and being such a queen.
Creepy
This is a fun English slang term. Often a girl will use this word to describe a guy who doesn’t really do anything bad, but still makes her feel kind of weird. She doesn’t really know why he makes her feel weird but the feeling is quite strong. She will just describe this guy as “creepy“. He is probably interested in some kind of physical relationship with her.
Here are some real example sentences:
I’m sure he’s a nice guy but he’s a little creepy. I don’t want to go out for coffee with him alone.
I’m not sure what it is, but there’s something about that guy that is a bit creepy.
Chilling
Native speakers use this word all the time in casual English. Sometimes we pronounce the word as “Chillin”
It means something like “relaxing” or “doing nothing”. Someone who is at home and “just chillin” it means they are probably surfing the internet or watching TV. They are just doing some simple activity and nothing serious.
Friends often say they are “chillin” when they are together.
An example sentence is, “I had a few friends over last night and we pretty much just chilled”.
Here is a real native conversation:
Ted: Do you have any plans tonight?
Tom: I dont’ know. I’m not really in the mood to go out tonight. I’m just chillin at home right now. You can come over here if you want.
Hanging Out
This is one of the most common slang phrases in spoken English. You absolutely need to know how to use this one.
Sometimes we pronounce this as “Hangin out”
If you are “hanging out” it means that you are spending time relaxing either by yourself or with friends. Native speakers never say “playing with my friends” instead we say “hanging out with my friends”.
Here is a real conversation:
Gary: What did you do last night?
Sarah: Not much. I just hung out with a couple of friends from work.
Drama Queen
A “Drama Queen” is a really useful slang term. It will definitely impress native speakers if you use it correctly.
If someone is trying to get attention by overreacting or by acting childish, they are called a “Drama Queen” . It’s not good to be a Drama Queen and everyone hates them. Drama queens can be both men and women.
Here is a real native conversation:
Bob: Did you notice how upset Cherry was at dinner yesterday? She was crying in front of everyone the whole night. Do you know what happened to her?
Kevin: Ya. Nothing really. She just had a bad day at work and was being a drama queen. It was so annoying to be around. I’m not going to invite her to any more dinner parties.
Sleep on it
If you need to make an important decision in your life, someone might suggest that you “sleep on it”.
If you “sleep on it” it means that you wait a little while to make your decision. You actually go to sleep and make your decision in the morning. Sometimes this helps make a better decision because it’s less emotional.
Here is a real native conversation:
Carrie: I got into a huge fight with my husband today. I’m getting so sick of his attitude. I going to tell him I want a divorce.
Heather: Sweetie. You’ve been married for over 10 years. It’s normal to argue. Maybe you should sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning. Divorce is a really big decision.
Carrie: Ok. Good idea
Slut
A “slut” is a really mean term that is only used for girls. A “slut” is a girl who has sex with a lot of different guys. She is really easy to sleep with. It’s a bad word. This word can not be used for guys who do the same thing. It’s not fair, but it’s the way it is.
Here are some real example sentences:
She is such a slut. She slept with all 3 of my best friends.
I don’t think she’s a slut. She is just having fun while she’s single.
If you want my honest opinion, I don’t think you should wear that dress. It looks a bit slutty.
Brainwashed
“Brainwashed” is a common slang term. Basically, if someone is “brainwashed” it means they believe some theory or idea without really understanding it or giving it much thought. This term is always used in a negative way.
Here are some common native example sentences:
He believes absolutely everything that is on the news. He’s so easy to brainwash.
The education system in that country brainwashes all the young kids to think a certain way.
Booty Call
In spoken English, a “booty call” is a slang term for having a casual sex partner that you can call over to your house at night for fun.
Here is a real example conversation:
Mark: Who’s that girl you were having breakfast with this morning? Is she your girlfriend?
Steve: No. She’s my “booty call“.
Baked/Stoned
If someone drinks too much alcohol we say they are drunk.
If someone smokes too much marijuana (pot, weed) we say they are baked or stoned.
Here are some real example sentences:
This weed is really strong. I’m really stoned already.
We all got so baked last night. I haven’t done that in a long time. It was hilarious.
Gone/Wasted/Hammered
These 3 terms are all common slang expressions for being drunk. They all mean the same thing and are used all the time in spoken English.
Here are some example sentences:
Look at her. She’s already gone after half a beer. She’s gonna be sick if she drinks any more.
I got so wasted at the bar last night. I don’t even remember how I got home.
He got really hammered and then drove home. He’s so lucky he didn’t kill anyone.
Weasel
A “weasel” is a slang term for a bad person who tries to benefit themselves while cheating others. This often has something to do with money. Weasels don’t steal but they do something in a sneaky way to get more money out of a situation. Everyone hates weasels.
Here is a real native conversation:
Sara: Did you notice that the last 4 times we’ve been out for dinner with Ron he didn’t pay anything?
Bob: I know. He’s a bit of a weasel. He’s always been that way.
Slacker
A “Slacker” is a person who is really lazy and does less work than they should do. People can be slackers in school or at work. If you do this sometimes, it’s called “slacking off“.
Here are a few example sentences:
He is a smart guy but he’s such a slacker. I think the boss is going to fire him if he doesn’t improve.
She slacked off the whole semester but studied really hard for the exam. She somehow got the top mark in the class.
Pussy
This is a slang term for a guy who is weak, scared, and has no confidence. It is also a dirty word for a part of a woman’s body.
You will hear this a lot in movies and in real spoken English.
Here is a real example conversation between 2 male friends:
Jeremy: You should go talk to that girl. I think she likes you.
Cliff: I don’t really feel like it. I don’t even know her and I’m a bit shy. It’s not my style to talk to someone I don’t know.
Jeremy: That’s crazy! You are such a pussy!
Playing the Field
If you are “Playing the Field” it means that you don’t have a steady boyfriend or girlfriend. You are casually dating different people. This does not mean that you are lying to anyone.
If you are a single guy for example, it could mean that you are having dinner with Lisa on Monday, going to the movies with Sarah on Tuesday, and Playing Tennis with Julie on Thursday.
If you are playing the field it usually means you want to enjoy the freedom of single life for a while. Some people like to play the field for their entire lives.
Here is a real example conversation:
Brian: Do you have a girlfriend yet?
Mark: No, I’m still playing the field. I don’t need the stress of a steady girlfriend right now. I want to focus on my career before I get serious with anyone.
On the Same Page
If two people are “on the same page” it means that they have similar feelings about something and basically agree with each other.
Here is a real example conversation:
Allen: Why are you and your girlfriend fighting all the time lately?
Scott: We just bought a house and we’re trying to decide how we want to design it. We have totally different tastes and we’re really not on the same page at all.
Blows/Sucks
These two slang words are used all the time in spoken English and basically mean the same thing.
If something “blows” or “sucks” it means it is really bad.
Here are some real native examples:
This party really blows. Let’s think of an excuse and leave as soon as possible.
I really don’t want to watch that movie. I’ve heard from at least 5 different people that it totally sucks.
He seriously thinks he’s a good basketball player. I went to watch his game last night and he totally blows.
I love playing tennis but I really suck at it.
Walk it off
If you get hurt playing a sport or something, but it’s not too serious, someone might tell you to “walk it off”. That means, take a walk and the pain will go away. Basically it means, “I know it hurts now but don’t worry about it, it’s not too serious”.
Here is a real conversation between a player and a coach:
Player: I
Cooped up
If you are feeling “Cooped up” it means that you feel like you’ve been inside the same place for too long.
Here are some good example sentences:
I really want to go outside today. I’ve been cooped up in bed for the past week with a terrible cold.
I’m sure she’ll want to go out tonight. It’s Friday night and she’s been cooped up in the office all week.
Slang Phone Conversation
If you want to learn real spoken English you need to be able to understand the way native speakers really speak.
This is an exact phone conversation I just had with my best friend. There is a lot of slang in here and almost no good vocabulary. This is exactly how native English friends talk to each other all the time.
Unfortunately this kind of stuff isn’t taught in schools. You need to be able to understand this if you want to speak English well. Don’t worry, I’ll teach you everything in the course.
My friend’s name is Jay. My name is Andrew. Here is the EXACT conversation. I didn’t change anything:
Jay: Hey man, what’s up?
Andrew: Not much, I’m just seeing what you’re up to tonight.
Jay: I was kind of planning on just staying in and chilling at my place. You can swing by if you want.
Andrew: I was thinking of going somewhere for a drink. I’ve been
cooped up in the office all week and I need to let loose a bit.
Would you be up for that?
cooped up in the office all week and I need to let loose a bit.
Would you be up for that?
Jay: I don’t know man, I’m pretty beat. I’ll let you know later if I get a second wind.
Andrew: Ok, cool. Later.
Jay: Later.
Notice that this conversation is totally different than what is taught in schools and in textbooks. The funny thing is this is EXACTLY what you need to know if you want to speak with native speakers.
I’ve made hundreds of these kinds of dialogs and I explain every little detail in this program. In this dialog, I would explain everything in green for example.
After you listen to these 126 lessons, about 12 minutes each, your English will be really amazing and very similar to a native speaker.
No comments:
Post a Comment